Monday, April 27, 2009

Planing hull sides to shape

I used a jigsaw with a metal cutting blade to cut the 4 hull sides to within a mm or two of the lofted pencil lines. The instructions say to plane to the line but to not remove the line. Makes sense since once you plane off the line you really have no idea how much material has been removed. The whole process was a lot easier than I expected. I adjusted my plane for a very fine cut and easily removed the high spots and then worked down to the pencil line. This is my first time working with a plane. It's now my new favorite hand tool.
Once the two left sides were planed to size, I used them as templates to mark out the right sides. Then cut and planed to size. A tiny bit of final planing was done with the two sides stacked. This way they are essentially identical in shape, and hopefully very close to the plan.


You can just barely make out the pencil line.


Time spent: 3 hours
Total time to date: 16 hours 30 min

No comments:

Post a Comment